Makeup and Sunscreen: Is it the Best Combination?
Here’s a common misconception.
You don’t need to apply sunscreen if you are already wearing makeup with SPF.
You are not alone if you thought this was the case.
However, for the best skin protection, you should apply sunscreen with a suitable SPF level that matches your lifestyle and skin type. Makeup with SPF is only effective and protective if applied heavily and thick onto the face.
Hence, the best and easiest way to protect your skin is to always apply sunscreen whether you are wearing makeup or not, and don’t merely rely on makeup for the best source of SPF.
Foundations Formulated with SPF
For maximum protection, the foundation should be applied directly onto the skin. Other than giving your face a clearer complexion and acting as a primer, it also defends your skin against the sun’s damaging rays.
Indeed, it gives your skin double benefits in a single product. This can also help to reduce your makeup and skincare routine steps.
A popular and favored option for many is foundations that also include additional skincare nutrients.
Today, there are many foundation options available such as:
- BB, CC, DD cream are well-known to be foundation bases to protect the skin while also helping your skin to look smooth.
- Foundation based compact powder can be applied throughout the day
- Liquid sunscreen foundation is definitely the most popular type that also comes with long-lasting properties and can easily blend into the skin
- Cushion foundation saves you time as it can get your skin ready all in one step. The cushion is a liquid foundation that comes in the form of a sponge and is easy to carry around. Hence, it is easy to use and apply throughout the day whenever is needed.
- Mousse foundation mixed with SPF helps to control the skin’s oiliness and sweat as well as covering pores. Some brands also include collagen and UVA/ UVB in the foundation as well.
However, foundations formulated with SPF also has its drawbacks as below:
- The first problem people come to notice is that finding a matching color foundation with SPF to your face can be difficult. Therefore, you may need to be careful when choosing the color and should always aim for the color that matches closest to your skin.
- The foundation may fade during the day especially if you have oily or mixed skin.
- The face may look greasy during the day if the sunscreen formula does not well mixed with the skin.
5 Steps to Apply Makeup and Sunscreen Correctly
Now, we are going to share the tips and steps to apply sunscreen and makeup correctly. Let’s explore it together!
Step 1: Make Sure Your Face is Cleaned
- First things first, wash your hands thoroughly and then wash your face with pure and warm water.
- To get rid of any oil stains on your skin and pores, gently massage your face for about 15 to 20 seconds.
- If you are using cleansing foam, rub the foam into your hands to create a foamy texture in order to reduce the friction between the hand and face. This will also help to prevent premature wrinkles.
- Soap and gel are good for cleaning the skin thoroughly without leaving the skin dry or feeling tight. It is gentle for the skin and helps the skin to maintain its moisture.
- Milk cleansing creams are gentle to the skin, especially around the eyes. It helps towards cleaning cosmetics and dust on the face in just one step.
- Mousse Cleansers are gentle for the skin and are different from soap or facial cleansers because you do not have to create the bubble yourself. Simply press the mousse from the bottle and it comes out in a foamy and frothy texture. Mousse cleansers are best for dry and sensitive skin as it soothes inflammation and redness and does not cause skin irritation.
Step 2: Apply Treatment Products
There are many treatment products available. Whether it’s serum, essence or moisturizer, you should choose the product that best matches your skin type.
If you wear makeup often, we recommend using either serum or essence before applying treatment creams formulated with moisturizing ingredients.
- Apply Vitamin C Serum
Vitamin C serum is definitely a skincare masterpiece. Before applying vitamin C serum on your face, make sure to first wash your face with warm water to open up the pores.
Apply the equivalent of a coin for the right amount of serum on your skin. Gently massage the serum on your face and neck for about 1 minute.
Vitamin C serum should be used regularly in the morning after washing your face to help brighten the skin.
Step 3: Choose your Sunscreen
Next up, choose your sunscreen! Sunscreens come in many forms and formulas but it’s important to choose the right sunscreen for your skin.
So how do we do that? Let’s take a look.
- Gel sunscreens are great for the facial skin as it can absorb quickly and is not sticky.
- Water-based sunscreens are lightweight and can help with moisturizing the skin.
- Sunscreens that are 100% free of chemicals are gentle for the skin. Especially water-based sunscreens as they are easy to absorb and blend into the skin hence. Therefore, less likely to cause clogged pores.
- Sunscreen creams are easy to spread on the face and do not cause greasiness on the face. You can choose between the natural colored cream or beige colored cream. Some brands have designed sunscreens to be used as a makeup base as well.
- Sunscreen serums are suitable for all skin colors and types. The lightness of the texture makes it easy to blend without causing white flakes during the day. Sunscreen serums also don’t lead to clogged pores.
- Invest a little time to find the foundation formulated with sunscreen that best matches your skin and always read the label for the ingredients. There are many types available such as powder, cream, cushion, and water-based formula.
Choose the Right SPF for you
- SPF is an indication of sunscreen’s effectiveness in protecting against UVB (Burning), sunburn and dull skin especially when you are exposed to the sun for a long period of time. The right SPF depends mainly on your skin type and your environment. SPF 15 is adequate for indoors while SPF 30 is suitable for outdoor activities. Keep in mind that SPF does not include UVA (Aging) that protects against the silent danger of wrinkles and premature aging.
Here are properties to look out for when choosing your next Sunscreen:
- Waterproof and sweat-resistant. Does not leave stain throughout the day
- Provides protection against UVA/ UVB, Visible Light, and Infrared radiation
- Absorbs quickly into the skin and is not sticky
- A gentle formula for sensitive skin that will not cause irritation
Step 4: Allow the Sunscreen to absorb into the Skin
After applying your serum, nourishing cream, sunscreen and sometimes foundation as well, you need to give some time for your skincare products to absorb into the skin.
We recommend waiting for at least 15 – 20 minutes for the skincare products to penetrate.
Step 5: Put on Your Makeup
The step that you have been waiting for. It’s time to put on your makeup on top of the treatment creams and sunscreen.
Yes, applying sunscreen first allows your foundation and makeup to better stick onto the skin. Apply your makeup correct by following these easy steps:
- Apply a clear-colored primer that helps with controlling the skin’s oiliness around the T-Zone area specifically the nose, tip, chin and forehead.
- Smear your makeup base around areas that are red or with spots to even out your skin tone. This step can be skipped if not necessary.
- Put on foundation by using either a sponge, brush or your fingers to gently and slowly blend the foundation across your face. Don’t put too much foundation in one go as it will become difficult to blend into the skin.
- Apply concealer in the areas that you want to cover such as blemishes or dark circles especially under the eyes
- Sweep on loose powder to the face (Mineral Makeup)
- Eyebrow, eye makeup, brush and lip finishes completing the makeup process
A quick refresher – slathering sunscreen daily is very important! Now that we have gone over the steps of how to wear sunscreen under your makeup, don’t forget to always have your sunscreen with you to easily reapply throughout the day.
To sum it up, the best protection for your skin is to put on sunscreen daily whether you are indoors or outdoors to achieve stronger and younger-looking skin.